Thursday, April 5, 2018

A family physician's favorite podcasts - updated for 2018

Late last year, I announced that I was planning to start my own podcast, to be called Common Sense Family Doctor after this blog. I did some reading about podcasting, downloaded Audacity to my laptop, and purchased the rights to some cool-sounding podcast theme music. Then life intervened. Patient care, teaching, editing, and other professional responsibilities completely consumed the time I thought that I would devote to the podcast, which remains on the drawing board. So what is the way forward? With the support of Georgetown's Center for New Designs in Learning & Scholarship, I now plan to explore podcasting to replace selected lecture content in my Patients, Populations and Policy course for first-year medical students. I hope that this "blended learning" project will give me the impetus I need to move forward with podcasting to a general audience sometime this summer. In the meantime, I've updated my previous list of favorite podcasts for your listening pleasure.

Health policy

HealthCetera
The Impact
POLITICO's Pulse Check
RoS: Review of Systems
State of Reform
What the Health?

Current events and popular culture

Every Little Thing
The Forward
How I Built This
TED Radio Hour
This American Life
30 for 30 Podcasts

History

Backstory
The Civil War: A History Podcast
Presidential
Revisionist History
Uncivil

Science and medicine

Air/Space
American Family Physician podcast
Hidden Brain
Houston We Have a Podcast
Methods
Sidedoor