Sunday, September 27, 2026

The breadth of family medicine in one meeting

My wife and I returned last night from the annual Family Medicine Education Consortium meeting, which was held in Atlantic City this year. Despite the rainy weather, it was an enjoyable conference. I presented the latest evidence on multicancer blood tests, which are limited and imperfect tools that family doctors should think twice about ordering for their patients even if Galleri is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Plenary speakers included family physician and YouTube sensation Mike Varshavski, DO, better known as Doctor Mike. Over two packed days, I was only able to sample a small slice of the 400+ presentations (including posters) by Northeast family medicine faculty, residents, and medical students. Nonetheless, these demonstrate the tremendous clinical and policy breadth of the specialty of family medicine. To show that breadth, and for the curious who want to know what sorts of talks I gravitate to at a conference like this, here are the topics of the oral presentations I attended:

Shaping the future of size-inclusive care: lessons from a medical student elective

Continuous glucose monitor utilization for insulin-dependent patients in family medicine clinic

A mixed-methods evaluation of Pennsylvania IMPLICIT Network sites

A 40-year retrospective cohort study of primary care alumni of NEOMED

Beyond statins

The Pap stops here: cervical cancer screening for women with HIV

From PCE to PREVENT: rethinking CVD risk in family medicine

This is our lane: building confidence in firearm storage safety conversations with patients

Primary care for all Americans: the current evidence and the plan to fix

Joint hypermobility in family medicine

An integrative approach to metabolic syndrome

Enhancing your research workflow with artificial intelligence

Shaping the future of care: where leadership, policy, and AI converge