Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Teaching medical writing and prevention for (legitimate) profit

Like the vast majority of doctors who blog, I write in my spare time. I have never accepted advertising or paid web links on Common Sense Family Doctor, and the choices of topics for posts are my own and not influenced by financial or other conflicts of interest. However, in order to support some of the time I devote to blogging, and to encourage good medical writing and clinical prevention practices, I do quite a bit of teaching in and around Washington, DC. Starting on Thursday, I will teach an 8-week graduate course in "Fundamentals of Clinical Preventive Medicine" at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Here are some of my other upcoming lectures and events:

3/31 - Prevention, Politics, and Prostate Cancer Screening - Georgetown University School of Medicine

4/19 - Don't Do It! Preventive Health Services That Harm More Than They Help - Spanish Catholic Center and District of Columbia Academy of Family Physicians

4/20 - Evidence-Based Medicine Small Group - Georgetown University School of Medicine

4/27 - Medical Writing Grand Rounds - Howard University Family Medicine Residency

5/4 - Writing Clinical Review Articles Journal Club - Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Preventive Medicine Residency

**

In addition, I have given well-received talks in the past on the uses of social media tools in medicine and education, identifying and developing good practice guidelines, and the evidence supporting specific recommendations of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (hepatitis, COPD, oral cancer, colorectal cancer, osteoporosis, and others). If you or your institution is interested in inviting me to speak about any of these topics, please e-mail me at linkenny@hotmail.com. Thanks for your continued support of Common Sense Family Doctor.